Memorial Gifts, Birthday Fund, and Other Donations
Would you like to honor someone dear to you? Gifts in memory of loved ones and special gifts for particular purposes allow you to enrich the life of The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, while expanding its service in the world. You have an opportunity to extend the church’s ministry and outreach beyond that supported by regular contributions to our annual operating budget.
Special gifts, whether made on a one-time basis or with ongoing donations, do not compete with your annual pledge or giving to the church’s operating budget. These are considered supplementary contributions that enhance the ministry of NYAPC. All funds for memorial or special gifts are used for the specific purpose you or the family designates or, if undesignated, supports the church’s ministry according to current priorities as determined by the gift acceptance policies of NYAPC.
If you desire to give a monetary gift in memory or in honor of a loved one, please send a check to The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, 1313 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20005, and include a note telling us in whose honor you are giving the gift. It is also helpful if your check includes a notation that it is a memorial or special gift and the name of the person being remembered. You may also donate online by selecting the GIVE NOW button on this page.
If you make a memorial or special gift, you will receive a written acknowledgement of your gift. If it is a memorial, a notification also will be sent to the family of the person in whose name the gift was given. If you prefer, your donation may be anonymous.
The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church expresses its deep gratitude for the memorials and gifts given over the years by its members and friends. These gifts memorialize individuals and significant events in one’s lives, as well as support and expand the church’s diverse ministries.
Celebrate your birthday or the birthday of someone you love by giving a dollar for each year of life, or any amount, to the NYAPC Birthday Fund. Your gift will make a lasting difference in the life and ministries of the Church or help provide immediate aid to those in our community.
We offer two choices for your gift:
- Your gift can be made to the Birthday portion of The Endowment Fund. Such a gift would be added to the capital of the Endowment Fund. Each year, the income it earns will help sustain and grow the diverse ministries and missions of the Church in perpetuity. Year after year, your gift would support the Church you love.
- Your gift can be made to the Birthday portion of The Benevolence Fund. Such a gift would add to the resources available to increase the Church’s capacity for service in the city, nation, and world. Currently, the Benevolence Fund is used for immediate direct aid for emergencies, such as catastrophic illness or evictions, and to support projects or individuals in need.
Please note that if you don’t choose where to give your Birthday gift, it will be added to The Endowment Fund.
Envelopes for making Birthday Fund gifts can be picked up in the Sanctuary or at the Church Front Desk. You may also give your gift online here. In addition, birthday cards for your use are available at the Front Desk.
Beyond the Budget Challenge List
Despite the generosity of our congregation and annual giving, many important items or services that would support NYAPC missions are not included in the church budget because funds are not currently available. Therefore, the church maintains a “Beyond the Budget Challenge List” with items approved by the Session with approximate dollar amounts from which you can make a donation.
For the current list of items, please download the Beyond the Budget Challenge List.
For most items, it is possible to contribute all or part of an item’s cost. Should your gift exceed the costs of the items selected, you will be consulted regarding use of the remaining funds. Consider making a special gift to honor a loved one’s birthday or anniversary, to celebrate a confirmation, graduation or other important life event, to support a beloved ministry of the church, or for any other reason. Your special gifts are always very much appreciated.
“Glory to God:” The Presbyterian Hymnal
You can be a constant participant in the musical life and worship services of NYAPC by donating copies of the new Presbyterian hymnal. The new hymnal retains our favorite hymns and expands the diversity and range of music available to our congregation.
You can easily make a donation online for $25.00 per hymnal and have the opportunity to recognize someone In Memoriam, or In Honor, by your gift. An attractive dedication page will appear at the front of the hymnal(s) you donate.
We will welcome the “Glory to God” hymnal in the fall of 2013. Share the music!
Several times a year, The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church joins with Presbyterian churches as part of our connection to the mission of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to receive the following special offerings:
- The Peacemaking Offering is received on World Communion Sunday (first Sunday of October) and supports the efforts of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to live out a deeper commitment to peacemaking as part of our faithfulness to God. Twenty-five percent of the offering stays in the local church for its peacemaking programs, twenty-five percent stays in the presbytery/synod for its programs, and fifty percent goes to the General Assembly for its national and international peacemaking efforts. http://www.pcusa.org/peacemakingoffering/
You can make these gifts, offerings, and other donations online by clicking here. When you click this link, you will be directed to ServiceU, a web-based system that specializes in working with churches to process donations. Once you click on the link above, you will need to:
- Select the type of donation you would like to make (e.g. “Birthday Fund”)
- Create an account on ServiceU or login to your pre-existing ServiceU account
- Complete the payment form with:
- your contact information
- payment amount
- frequency of payment
- payment date(s) (if making a single payment, select the same day as the first and last date of payment)
- payment method (NYAPC accepts both credit cards and direct transfers from a checking account)
If the payment form does not appear immediately upon creating an account, re-click the link on this page and begin the process again.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact NYAPC’s Senior Accountant Lance Jameson in the NYAPC office at 202.393.3700 or by email at email@example.com.