Returning Citizens Assistance Network
To Get Involved: Contact Theo Brown, email@example.com, 240-393-7246
Our congregation is part of the Returning Citizens Assistance Network (RCAN). This network of congregations in Washington, DC, responds to requests from the DC Public Defender Service for assistance with specific short-term needs, helping to resolve problems and issues that threaten the ability of returning citizens and others in the criminal justice system to successfully transition to society. The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church and Metropolitan AME Church worked with the Public Defender Service to establish RCAN, which now includes seventeen churches and synagogues.
Some examples of the kind of help RCAN provides:
- Help finding an apartment, paying an application fee or security deposit
- Referral to needed emergency aid or social service agencies
- Transportation or assistance with personal errands
- Funds to avoid eviction or help with other emergency financial needs
- Help with completing documents or, under power of attorney, help with other specific tasks
- Assistance looking for work, for example, navigating applications, preparing for job interviews, or connecting with prospective employers
- Informal life-skills counseling or short-term mentoring.
Congregations in the network agree to:
- Identify one or more members as contact persons for that congregation
- Share information about the network with members and identify individuals who wish to help
- Receive regular information from the network about specific individuals who need assistance
- Check with members of the congregation to see if anyone can assist with a request
- Help to coordinate efforts with persons who request assistance.
Questions? Contact Theo Brown, firstname.lastname@example.org, 240-393-7246
To donate, go to our donation page and select "RCAN Returning Citizens" from the drop down menu.