The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church grew out of the union of two churches in 1859: F Street Associate Reformed Presbyterian Church and Second Presbyterian Church. It has been a thriving congregation for generations. The church, just blocks from the White House, has welcomed presidents (including Abraham Lincoln), cabinet secretaries, and members of Congress over its many years in downtown Washington, D.C. It has also been on the front lines of social justice movements, including the civil rights movement and poor people’s campaign, and continues to act for justice through its social action ministries. Read more.
The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church is a member of the National Capital Presbytery in the Presbyterian Church (USA), as well as part of More Light Presbyterians, the Covenant Network of Presbyterians, and the Washington Interfaith Network, an affiliate of the Industrial Areas Foundation, the oldest and largest national, institution-based, community organizing network in the United States.
On Being Presbyterian
Presbyteros, the Greek word meaning elder, is used seventy-two times in the New Testament. It provided the name for the Presbyterian family of churches, which includes the Reformed churches of the world, coming out of the Calvinist tradition. The Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) is distinctly a confessional and a connectional church, distinguished by the representation of lay leaders, called elders, in its government. The church has a membership of 1.7 million people in 50 states and Puerto Rico. Read more.