Sharing Strength – Building Faith – Gifts United in Christ
Like good stewards of the manifold grace of God, serve one another with whatever gift each of you has received. Whoever speaks must do so as one speaking the very words of God; whoever serves must do so with the strength that God supplies, so that God may be glorified in all things through Jesus Christ. To him belong the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen. 1 Peter 4:10-11
Dear Members and Friends of The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church, It is with joy, hope, and gratitude that we invite you, once again, to support the work of The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church through our annual stewardship campaign. This year’s theme is Sharing Strength – Building Faith – Gifts United in Christ. 1 Peter reminds us of the unique gifts that we have been given by God, and challenges each of us to return those gifts to our community to continue glorifying God. We recognize that NYAPC offers us strength in this changing world and gives us a space to grow with God and our community, which we celebrate through our selfless gifts back to the church. This year’s campaign runs from September 22 to November 10, with commitment Sunday, November 3.
Our theme is derived from the new Vision, Mission and Core Values that the church adopted this Spring after a year of discernment by the Vision-Strategy Task Force as commissioned by the Session. The Prophet Micah’s call on our lives forms the theological basis for our mission: “What does the Lord require of you, but to seek justice, love kindness and walk humbly with your God?” On the banners flying high on both sides of the church, we are invited to reflect on this call every time we pass our church building. It is with that call, we come to our core values: Foundational Worship, Radical Hospitality, Nurturing Community, Prophetic Witness, and Joyful Stewardship. The new mission statement and values are included on the back of this letter for your reference.
With the call of our new Transitional Pastor, Rev. Heather Shortlidge, who begins work on September 17, the transitional work already accomplished, and the dedication and leadership of church members and NYAPC staff, we are thankful for the ways that God continues to call and strengthen us to build our faith and serve God’s people united in all of the good gifts given to us by our Triune God.
Our goal for the 2020 campaign is $700,000 and 170 giving units. For the 2019 campaign, we had $676,053 pledged by 151 giving units. We have set our monetary goal at 5% above last year’s numbers to strengthen the budget and our programs and hope that you will also prayerfully consider an increase in your giving over last year’s commitment.
You can make your commitment with the enclosed card—returning it in the collection plate, in the mail, by sending an email to Church Senior Accountant, Lance Jameson, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or complete the online option (https://forms.gle/iwXLCDjiiGW6mwNr9). The card has the usual information with regards to financial commitment, but it also includes a commitment to pray for our church and our ministries. Regardless of your financial situation, we believe that each member of our church family can renew their commitment to this church through this option.
Helen Anthony, Stewardship Chair
Rev. Alice Tewell, Acting Head of Staff/Associate Pastor
Please click here to fill out the 2020 Stewardship Pledge Form
Please click here to schedule your 2020 Pledge Payments. When you click this link, you will be directed to ServiceU, a web-based system that specializes in working with churches to process donations. Once you click on the link above, you will need to:
- Select the type of donation you would like to make (to make payments to satisfy your 2020 pledge, click on “2020 Stewardship Pledge Pymt”)
- Create an account on ServiceU or login to your pre-existing ServiceU account
- Complete the payment form with:
- your contact information
- payment amount
- frequency of payment
- payment date(s) (if making a single payment, select the same day as the first and last date of payment)
- payment method (NYAPC accepts both credit cards and direct transfers from a checking account)
If the payment form does not appear immediately upon creating an account, re-click the link on this page and begin the process again.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact NYAPC’s Senior Accountant Lance Jameson in the NYAPC office at 202.393.3700 or by email at email@example.com.
In 2019, the Session of the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church adopted the following Vision Statement, Mission Statement, and Core Values to guide our strategic planning.
Credo: Expressing God’s Love, Engaging in God’s Justice
Vision: Following Christ into places of brokenness and joy, NYAPC will do justice, treat all with kindness and mercy, and walk humbly with God.
Mission: NYAPC is an inclusive community of faith in the heart of Washington DC, furthering God’s transforming work, challenging the powerful, standing with the oppressed, lifting up the broken-hearted, and making God’s love and justice visible by welcoming and loving all.
- Foundational Worship: We gather to praise God, just as we are, amidst the brokenness of the world, seeking to be transformed by the Word and inspired by the Spirit to bear God’s love and justice.
- Radical Hospitality: We offer God’s inclusive welcome, inspired by Jesus’ ministry and empowered by God’s Spirit to provide all a safe place and a spiritual home.
- Nurturing Community: We care for one another as God cares for us; learning and growing in our faith; nurturing deep, lasting friendships; feeding each other’s spirits; and reaching out to neighbors near and far.
- Prophetic Witness: We seek to be faithful to the justice-seeking God by witnessing against all that deforms God’s good creation, so that we might be where God is, at work bringing new life.
- Joyful Stewardship: We nourish and share our gifts from God’s abundance so that we may move boldly forward in our common journey of faith.