NYAPC is a member of the Washington Interfaith Network (WIN), with 50 activists in our congregation. WIN has about 50 member congregations and is itself a member of the Industrial Areas Foundation (IAF). IAF also has organizations in many other urban areas, such as VOICE in Virginia and AIM in Montgomery County.WIN and IAF use “people power” to make government help the poorest people help themselves. Activities include meetings with political candidates, leafleting at polls, public demonstrations, and meetings to determine ways to meet community needs.WIN is also a member of the Coalition for Nonprofit Housing & Economic Development, which works to ensure low- and moderate-income residents have housing and economic opportunities in neighborhoods throughout Washington, D.C.
In recent years we have helped bring about the following actions in the District of Columbia:
- Neighborhood Investment Fund (NIF) of $1 Billion to build affordable housing
- Baseball Stadium Fund for affordable housing
- Housing First program to house homeless people
- Recreational Facilities upgrades in schools and recreation centers
- Jobs Program with good-paying jobs weatherizing houses for needy DC homeowners
With IAF, WIN has worked to defeat usury through the Ten Percent is Enough campaign (www.10percentisenough.org). Activities include moving money from predatory banks and pressuring Congress to pass anti-usury legislation.
Interested? Contact Courtney Spearman at email@example.com .
For more information on WIN, click http://votewindc.nationbuilder.com .