We currently have a Senior Accountant Position Available. The position will start in early June. Please read the following for more information. If you wish to apply, please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Position Summary:Church Senior Accountant
The Senior Accountant for The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church (NYAPC) oversees the accuracy and integrity of the organization’s accounting policies, procedures, and practices. He/she manages the daily cash position, manages the general ledger, prepares internal and external financial reports, and administers the internal control structure for the Church and its boards, clusters, and committees. The Senior Accountant understands the needs of the Church community for timely and accurate financial information.
This is a full-time position, which reports to the Associate Pastor/ Deputy Head of Staff and works closely with and is responsive to the Church Administrator and those individuals responsible for Church accounting and finance. The Senior Accountant receives technical assistance and guidance from NYAPC’s outside controller, Your Part-Time Controller (YPTC), and independent auditors. He or she must be self-directed and able to exercise sound judgment, set priorities, and meet deadlines. The Senior Accountant also works well with individuals who volunteer to perform financial duties for their organizations within the Church.
The life and work of The New York Avenue Presbyterian Church has been uniquely interwoven with the life of Washington, DC, and our country for more than 200 years. Our existence is a testament to God’s fidelity. The present attests to God’s goodness, and the future contains God’s promise. NYAPC is an inclusive and justice-seeking community. Our diverse membership is active in many ministries, while providing rich fellowship opportunities for congregants of all ages.
Responsibilities to the Church:
The Senior Accountant:
- Performs accounting functions, including:
- Recording receipts and deposits both in QuickBooks as well as in the Church’s donor management system, ACS, reconciling the balances in the two systems on a monthly basis
- Bank account management
- Payroll processing
- Accounts payable administration, including a range of payees from established vendors to student scholarship recipients
- Financial reporting (along with YPTC), including monthly committee financial reports, quarterly donor statements, and year-end reports
- Assists and helps coordinate with others work on the annual audit, collaborating with Church volunteers, the outside controller, and the auditors
- Works effectively with:
- Those individuals who volunteer to assist with financial and administrative duties in the Church office in a variety of tasks, including coordinating the preparation of budgets, forecasts, and analyses.
- The Church’s outside controller and auditors to develop, analyze, and make recommendations relating to accounting software and financial data processing systems to ensure effective and efficient financial operations.
- Various Church boards, clusters, and committees (including the Board of Trustees, the Funds Development Cluster, the Accounting Task Force, and the Audit, Finance, Stewardship, Planned Giving, and Capital Campaign Committees) to ensure that the organization has adequate financial controls, policies, and procedures and to establish additional controls, as necessary.
- Other Church staff members.
- Complies with policies and procedures required to keep accounting records in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) in the United States as applicable to nonprofits, with any exceptions or variances approved by the Church’s Audit Committee.
Experience and Qualifications:
The successful candidate must:
- Hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or a related field.
- Possess 3-5 years of relevant professional experience in Nonprofit or faith-based accounting experience is desired. A CPA is not required.
- Demonstrate strong accounting skills and have experience managing
- Be proficient in QuickBooks and able to process transactions throughout the full accounting
- Be able to communicate effectively with all levels of the
- Be able to communicate effectively with the outside controller and
Additional requirements include:
- Flexibility in work schedule; ability to work extended hours as necessary and meet with church officers and committees in monthly evening meetings.
- Proficiency in the use of technology generally, including Excel. Knowledge of ACS church management software is desirable, but not required.
- Patience with a wide range of people is key.
NYAPC is an equal opportunity employer.